QQI LEVEL 5 COURSES
No CAO points requirement!
Applications Open for September 2023
Outdoor Adventure Education
The Course, which was established in 1987, is now recognised as the primary training opportunity for people interested in outdoor and adventure education. The intensive two-year course is based in the college campus in Kinsale, utilising the extensive resources and equipment available ashore and afloat.
|Entry requirements:||1. Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate|
experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
2. All applicants will be required to attend an interview
3. An offer of a place on this course means the applicant has met
the minimum entry requirements set out and attended for interview
|Course Duration:||1 year|
|Commencement Date:||September 2022|
|Course Co-Ordinator:||Jeff Cochrane and Tadhg Boyden|
About the Course
The Course, which was established in 1987, is now recognised as the primary training opportunity for people interested in outdoor and adventure education.
The course is based in the college campus in Kinsale, utilising the extensive resources and equipment available ashore and afloat. Former students who have successfully completed the course are now employed in sailing schools, activity centres and other outdoor education centres in Ireland, the United Kingdom and the Mediterranean.
Apart from practical training, the course emphasises the educational possibilities of the outdoors through experiential education and place based learning.
Watch more Kinsale College movies
Our Career Network
Youth Work, Outdoor Education Centre Instructor, Senior Instructor, Self Employment, Work Abroad with Adventure Tourism Companies, Coaching, Adventure Sports Development Officer, Adventure Therapy.
Education Progression Opportunities
Students who successfully complete the Level 5 Award in Outdoor Recreation will be eligible to apply for the Level 6 Award in Kinsale College.
• L7/8 Bachelor of Arts Honours in Outdoor Education in GMIT – GA 885
• L7 Bachelor of Arts in Outdoor Learning – Tralee IT
Possibilities in Education, Social Care, Emergency Services, Wildlife Biology, Retail and Manufacturing.
Participants will be required to undertake 10 days of work placement in a suitable environment. The College will assist participants in identifying suitable placements.
The course in the first year aims to develop personal competency in a range of outdoor activities.
• Outdoor Adventure Activities: Dingy Sailing, Windsurfing, White Water Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Navigation, River Safety and Rescue and Power Boating.
• Management of Outdoor Education Activities: Outdoor Leadership, Team Building, Philosophy of Outdoor Education, Equipment Maintenance and First Aid & Emergency Care.
• Applicants should be strong swimmers and in good physical health