Learn More About VTOS Funding at Kinsale Campus
What is VTOS?
Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) provides a range of supports to allow individuals who are unemployed to return to education or training. The scheme allows successful applicants to keep their Social Welfare Allowances while attending their course in the college. All full-time day courses in the College are eligible for VTOS.
How does VTOS benefit me?
VTOS courses can help you to develop your skills and prepare you for employment, self-employment or further education and training.
You can apply for VTOS if you are over 21 years of age, unemployed and have been getting certain social welfare payments for at least 6 months.
You may keep your social welfare payment or get a VTOS Allowance.
VTOS is run by the local Education and Training Boards and is aimed in particular at unemployed people who are early school-leavers.
See below for eligibility criteria
How do I qualify for VTOS?
You may qualify for VTOS if you are aged 21 years or over and you are:
- Getting, Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Allowance or signing for credits for at least 6 months (156 days) or
- Getting One-Parent Family Payment, Disability Allowance, Illness Benefit* or Invalidity Pension for at least 6 months (156 days) or
- Getting Blind Pension, Deserted Wife’s Allowance/Benefit, Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Contributory Pension, Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Non-Contributory Pension or Prisoner’s Wife’s Allowance for at least 6 months (conditions may apply in the case of these payments) or
- A dependent spouse, civil partner or cohabitant of an eligible person
- A person who received statutory redundancy but who has not been in receipt of a qualifying payment for the required period.
Periods spent on FET training courses, Community Employment Schemes, Youthreach programmes and time in prison can count towards the qualifying period.
* If you are claiming Illness Benefit, you should contact your local social welfare office about exemption/entitlement to continuation of your Illness Benefit payment.
People on Post-Leaving Certificate courses (PLCs) who are getting VTOS allowances are not eligible for student support grants. However, this does not affect any entitlement they may have to exemption from college fees or student contributions.
There are no fees for VTOS courses and you will get free books and materials at the start of the course. Depending on your individual circumstances you may be eligible for the following:
- Meal allowance
- Travel allowance
- Childcare supports for your child under the National Childcare Scheme
How to apply for VTOS
- Apply for your chosen course at Kinsale Campus via www.kinsalecampus.ie
- Complete a VTOS Application Form (top section only)
- Take the form to your local Intreo/Social Welfare office to have it stamped, signed and completed with the necessary payment details
- Return the form to Kinsale Campus, &/or email VTOS Coordinator: helena.farrell@Corketb.ie
Closing Date for receipt of applications is mid September. All applications after this date will be treated as a late application